Thursday, January 26, 2012

Citrus & Cornmeal Crusted Sole with Orange-Pomegranate Salsa

I have a disturbing amount of frozen fish in my freezer.

I would show you, but it's kind of embarrassing.

So, after going through my freezer and wondering how in the world I ever thought it was a good idea to buy that much fish, I checked out my favourite food blog (www.howsweeteats.com), and, as the fates had it, a really tasty looking fish recipe had just been posted- Citrus crusted tilapia with blood orange salsa! (http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/01/citrus-crusted-tilapia-with-blood-orange-salsa/)


I went through my pantry and made a few changes to the recipe based on what I had on hand, and made this lovely dish:

Citrus & Cornmeal Crusted Sole (adapted from howsweeteats.com)
- 4 fresh (or frozen, thawed) filets of fish (I used sole because it's what I had)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- a few dashes of cayenne pepper, depending on taste.
- zest of 2 oranges
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- about 2-3 tbsps of lemon/lime juice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (My oven runs a bit low, so i did 450), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (Jessica from howsweeteats.com recommends baking the fish on a wire rack on top of the baking sheets, but I didn't have any that I could put in the oven, and mine turned out just fine cooked on a baking sheet).

Gently beat the 2 eggs and add the lime juice in one bowl. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and orange zest. Coat each fish filet with the egg mixture, then the citrus breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.



Orange-Pomegranate Salsa (adapted from howsweeteats.com):

- 2 oranges, segmented
- seeds from one pomegranate
- about 1/2 of one red onion
- a few splashes of balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
(If it's available to you, something like fresh parsley, or a bit of seeded, fresh japalenos would be awesome.)
Combine all ingredients, and allow to sit for about half an hour so flavours marry.

This stuff is seriously good. It makes it much easier to use all the fish in your freezer :)


No comments:

Post a Comment