Monday, February 20, 2012

Crockpot White Chicken Chili

Have you heard of white chili?

If you're anything like me, and you lurk food blogs and endlessly repin food posts on pinterest, and you even stalk the food section on reddit.com...

... Wait, only me?

Anyway. I've been hearing a great deal about white chili, which is a type of chili with more of a creamy/brothy base, rather than a tomato-y base.


So I went through many, MANY recipes until I found one I liked, and adapted it to fit my pantry!

Here it is (Adapted from food.com):

- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans white kidney beans (You can also use great northern or navy beans... or whatever bean you have!)
- 2 cans corn
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- one medium onion, chopped
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream

Adaptation Explanations: I used navy beans in my original recipe, but I didn't like the texture, so I would definitely recommend using kidney beans instead. I also added extra corn (Because who doesn't like corn?), omitted a can of green chilies (Because they are really pricey, but if you have the means, go for it!), added the mushrooms (Because I wanted some veggie in there- and yes, I classify mushrooms as vegetables) and added an onion.

Place the chicken, beans, corn, mushrooms and onion in the slow cooker. In a separate bowl, combine taco seasoning, soup and chicken broth. Pour the mixture over the other ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Before serving, stir the chili to break up the chicken, and add the 1/2 cup of sour cream. Enjoy!!

My husband was seriously skeptical of this chili. He devoured it. And also made shadow puppets while I was trying to take pictures of it.

Sigh.

1 comment: